20 May 2009

Movie, Cake, and Birds

I just started to get a sore throat. I noticed it while I was trying to savor a slice of flourless chocolate cake my friend John made, while simultaneously watching the movie Old Joy. The movie is a lot like Rivers and Tides, but with two humans and a dog in it and a little bit of dialogue. So of course, I adored it. The dog, Lucy, carries different sticks in her mouth throughout most of it.

Earlier, I had been thinking about someone who offered me her sun conure this week with no hesitation after she heard I had a dusky-headed. She wasn't kidding, and I totally know why. I told Sue about her and she said, too, Yeah, I know what she means.

Volume.
Mess.
Demands.

I guess you can hear a sun conure for blocks away, the loudest and most colorfully plummaged of the wee parrots. My hearing at breakfast is already challenged as I try to enjoy a cup of tea and toast. It seems we have trained the bird to scream while we eat so that we will give him a bit of our food. It's delightful. I am not one who can even make sentences for a half hour or so after waking, so the shrieking takes a lot to just be.

Charm.
Silliness.
Vivacity.

He shuffles around on the floor like a small man looking for a ride or for directions to the bus stop. Are you going that way, he asks? And when it gets dark, he ambles into his cage and into his shoebox, where he peeps and tweedles and shushshh's til my heart is aflame with love. How small a creature, how large his insistence and how great the affection.

No comments: